Fun fact! Trans and nonbinary people who choose not to go on hormones, get surgery, etc. are still totally valid! Nonbinary people who choose not to present as “androgynous” are still totally valid! Binary trans people who choose not to present traditionally feminine or masculine based on their gender are still totally valid!
Stop policing everyone’s identity. It isn’t difficult.
A few of these have been making the rounds on tumblr, but I haven’t seen one that says this yet:
- You don’t have to come out
- You don’t have to feel pressured to come out
- Being in the closet is not shameful
- It’s about protecting yourself
- If coming out will make you exposed to discrimination, rejection, harassment or violence, you are perfectly justified in staying closeted
- If coming out day makes you feel like being closeted makes you a lesser person, don’t
- It’s about survival and self-preservation
- And you are awesome and fabulous no matter how few or how many people in your life know about your identity